Sunday, November 6, 2011

I snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef!!!

Use google maps or google earth to find Agincourt Reefs.  We cruised out to sea for 1.5 hours on the Poseidon to Agincourt reefs.  I had never snorkeled before and was a little nervous.  It was the coordination thing I was worried about.  Could I remember to breath through my mouth at the right time or would I be constantly sucking seawater?  Jumped off the back of the boat thinking what can be the worst thing that happens, I inhale a bunch of seawater and drag myself back to safety, at least I tried.  But the most amazing thing happened.  I put my mask in the water and was so fascinated by the brilliant coral, the colorful fish, the spectacular beauty that breathing became something one does in order to stay as long as possible in this amazing world.  The pictures just do not do it justice but I will share the best.  




The color of the water was amazing!  Can you see the reef in this shot?








Getting suited up for the big plunge!  I was greatly relieved when they offered prescription googles.


 
The fish were colorful and abundant.
Clown Fish - They were a beautiful shade but at least 6 feet of water separated us.  The picture just does not capture the color.  Sorry.
 

Safely back on the boat.
We stopped and snorkeled at 3 different sites.  The final site was at the outer edge of the great barrier reef where the ocean floor drops off to a mile deep.  Swimming out over that edge was a little terrifying.  The fish you see in this shot were really big.
I'd be swimming around chasing fish and have to stop myself to just float there and marvel at the beauty and variety of the coral.  It was the most amazing experience!
Wayne actually saw a 4 foot reef shark swim below him.  This ray was my most interesting siting, although everything was fascinating.

Put this one in because it captured the color so well. All the fish were so vivid.









1 comment: