Monday, October 10, 2011

Eucalypts of the Royal Botanic Gardens

an Exhibition of Botanical Illustrations by Friends of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne


Lemon Scented Gum
Corymbia citriodora
by Joan Mason
watercolor

I purchased an archival print of this work mostly because I liked it but also because the artist's name was Joan, and I actually got to meet her and tell her about my Joan the wonderfully talented botanical illustrator back in Tucson. 

Maybe all the botanical illustrations in my collection will have to be by artists named Joan...

This exhibition of botanical illustrations was made infinitely more interesting because it is dear Joan's passion and she shares it with us.  I knew for instance, that the artists were most likely responsible for framing their works and so it was interesting to note differences in material and color choices and how those choices complimented the work.  Mostly I know from Joan that these are just real people with everyday concerns like the rest of us who just happen to be amazingly talented.  Thanks Joan!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment